This recipe is so easy and so delicious that after making it twice, my kids already learned the recipe! I hope you try it out. It’s also very non-expensive as you probably already have all the ingredients you need in your pantry. It’s our family favorite! Yum!
This recipe yields 30 crackers with each being 4×2 inches ( rectangular shaped) approximately.
2 cups of flour; 1 Tsp salt; 1 Tablespoon of sugar; 1 Tsp baking powder ; 4 Tablespoons of meltes butter; 1.5 cups warm water.
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add water to dry mix. Start mixing in the bowl and add more water little by little until you get the correct consistency before kneading.
3. Add flour to a clean counter surface. Add flour to your hands.
4. Place the dough from the bowl into a clean counter. Knead by hand adding additional flour as needed. When the dough is no longer sticky, take a rolling pin and stretch out the dough. It should be about 1/4 or 1/8 inch thick when ready. Both thicknesses work fine. It depends on your preference.
5. Cut the dough into strips of approximately 1 inch wide. Cut each strip into rectangles or squares ( your choice) and with a fork pinch the dough. The pinching of the dough is fun but also important to get the oven heat to bake the cracker all throughout. ( My kids do the pinching of the dough, it’s their favorite part!)
6. Prepare baking pans by covering with a small amount of butter. Place the crackers into the baking pans.
7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden on top.
Below is a short video showing you thickness of the dough and how to cut it.
My cracker shapes are very original as my kids are the ones involved in that part of the process, and having tons of fun with it. 🙂
Once you take the crackers out of the oven, let them cool. Then store them in an air tight container. Although I typically skip this step as these crackers don’t last long at home.. I never really get to store them. 🙂
Crackers in the oven.